[PLUG] stress testing hard drive and laptop before shipping

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Mon Feb 7 10:08:11 UTC 2011

About a week after it arrives, I will be shipping ebay-purchased
laptop to a friend out of the country.  Once shipped, it will be
difficult to maintain.  I've got the hard drive (new WD5000BEVT,
good reviews on newegg and amazon) , battery, and a few other
removables that will go on it, and I am testing them now, in a
different laptop.

I installed Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat (10.04LTS Lucid had
some issues, sigh).  I added some plausible packages:  bonnie,
ctcs, phoronix, stress, stressapptest, and computertemp to make
sure the laptop doesn't cook too much.

Right now, I am running "bonnie" on the hard drive, for a day
or two.   When the target laptop arrives, I will load the
removables on it and use one or two of the test packages.  I
have not used them before.  Free Geek uses "stress" for a few
minutes on their laptop.  Rather than a quick but possibly
damaging test, I would rather run something moderately
stressful for days.

Any suggestions?

Keith

PS: I don't want to repeatedly compile X - no good diagnostics!