[PLUG] GoogleEarth Guru Here?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Feb 7 18:49:59 UTC 2011

   I don't use Google Earth much, but I can find my way through menus and I
even watched Google's tutorials without finding how to change the geographic
location of a placemark.

   A series of UTM (Universal Transverse Mercator) coordinates was provided;
they're in Nevada Zone 11S and I have the eastings and northings for each
point. My Google search for instructions on how to enter these values
(rather than an address or place name) revealed that from version 5.2 on
they can be directly entered. So, I upgraded my 5.1 version to 6.0.2. All
well and good, so far.

   Using the "Add Placemark" toolbar feature (left most icon of a pushpin
with a + above it), I specified the zone, easting, and northing. Gave it a
name and clicked "OK." However, GE doesn't like the position and insists on
changing it.

   What I entered was (easting) 557018.00 m E, (northing) 4411377.00 m N. The
values displayed on the map are 557356.98 m E and 4411268.25 m N. I cannot
drag that icon to a new position and no matter how many times I re-enter the
desired coordinates for it it refuses to go there and immediately changes
the values to what it wants. The imagery data is 2006 and should be about 15
m resolution. While the position might not be precise (although it should be
since it's reported to 1 cm on the status line) it should not be so far off.

   Any suggestions from those more conversant with GE than I will be
appreciated.