[PLUG] update on making a special Gnome-Terminal window

website reader website.reader3 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 01:40:11 UTC 2011

To all:

Here's an update to the question I asked about setting a window in a
desktop with certain characteristics.

Procedure to set up a particular window on a specific desktop in the
background with no focus

Valid in the Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Edition running the compiz window manager.

1. Install CompizConfig-Settings-Manager using the Synaptic Package Manager

2. Under the System Preferences tab open up the Manager

3. Click the Window Management icon in the left column

4. Enable "Place Windows" and "Window Rules" icons so they are checked

5. Double click "Place Windows" icon to bring up that window

6. Tab to "Fixed Window Placement"

7. Underneath the bottom tab, Windows with fixed viewport enter in the
window identifier (usually the title), and then set the viewport X and
Y positions. It appears that 1 is desktop 1 for X. (not sure about Y
viewport position)

8. Hit the Back button in the lower left hand corner

9. Double click "Window Rules" icon to open that window

10. Under the tab "Below" enter in the window identifier (usually title)

11. Under the tab "No focus" enter in the same identifier.

I used the wild card character * on my Window title to match.

12. Hit the Back button to return to the CompizConfig Settings main screen.

DOUBLE CHECK: Make sure that the Enable Window Rules and Place Windows
are enabled

In the script file you can use the CLI command:

"gnome-terminal --window-with-profile=MyProfile

to initiate the popup window in the correct desktop.

I picked no-focus and background for my window, since I wanted to keep
working in any of the 4 desktops that I have.

It's now working great.

It might be nice to figure out how to set up metacity to do this?

- Randall