[PLUG] DSL Provider Recommendations Sought

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Sat Feb 12 09:11:49 UTC 2011

>> Ditto. I don't know if Qwest has made DSL possible out my way,

Victor> How do I figure out if DSL is available in my area?  I live in
Victor> S.E.  Portland, i.e. 4420 S.E. Nehalem.  Every now and then
Victor> over the last many years, I try to figure out if I can get any
Victor> DSL service where I live, and it seems that every time the
Victor> answer is no.  Some techie guy at Freegeek told me once that I
Victor> should be all activist like towards some central office on
Victor> Belmont.  That's about the extent of my understanding.  Does
Victor> anybody with more technical acumen than me know if I can get
Victor> DSL where I live, or how do I go about figuring it out?

You ask the phone company (either directly or via an ISP) if they can
provide service at your number (or maybe address).  They have records
will show whether your phone pair is within the number of wire-feet
necessary.  Sometimes those records are wrong, but it's what they
typically go by.

--
Russell Senior, President
russell at personaltelco.net