[PLUG] Ethernet patch cable alarm...

Fred James fredjame at fredjame.cnc.net
Sun Feb 13 05:09:25 UTC 2011

wes wrote:
> What about having the computer from which you don't want an ethernet cable
> unplugged make a noise when it is unplugged?
>
> -wes
>
> On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 5:08 PM, Michael C. Robinson <
> plug_1 at robinson-west.com> wrote:
>

>> I am interested in a specialty part that should be easy to make.
>> The problem with patch cables is that they can be unplugged.  I
>> have Internet connected lines going to servers where the lines
>> themselves are filtered by those servers.  If the cables are
>> unplugged, the servers are effectively bypassed.  I want an
>> obnoxious alarm that I can put inside the steel lockbox, one for
>> each patch cable.  If you unplug one of these patch cables, the
>> alarm goes off.  Better yet, an alarm goes off and no transmission
>> through the patch cable is allowed until it is plugged back into the
>> appropriate ethernet card.  So effectively, I want to detect the MAC
>> address and link status.  Unplug the patch cable, the alarm sounds.
>> Plug the cable into the wrong computer, the alarm continues.  I want
>> this to be as loud as a smoke detector.
>>
>> Does anyone make a 10/100 ethernet switch with an alarm based on
>> MAC address feature?  It should be easy to make a device equipped
>> with an alarm and an AC connection that detects disconnect, but
>> detecting a foreign computer plugged in is trickier.

As long as we are drawing in the sky ... an appliance built into the
middle of the patch cable (in other words, that cannot be disconnected
from the cable)?  This headless computer could be programmed to know the
MAC at either end (or both) and sound the alarm should one (or both) not
be seen ... maybe photograph the un-plugger at the same time.

But seriously, if I may, what is the need exactly?  Are the cables being
unplugged?  Who is unplugging them?  Why are they doing that?

Wouldn't it suffice, and perhaps be easier, to "cap" the end of the
cable in such as way as to make non-un-pluggable without some sort of "key"?

As for identifying the un-plugger (if there is a need for that), add a
network camera to monitor the location.

Any help?
Regards
Fred James