[PLUG] Replace ethernet switch with Linux bridge?

someone plug_1 at robinson-west.com
Sun Feb 13 10:38:11 UTC 2011

Is this something that is doable to go from a dumb switch that doesn't care
what MAC addresses are connecting to a smart switch that does?

Currently, my DSL modem is bridged and I have 5 global IP addresses.
I use a Netgear 10/100baseTX 8 port switch to connect all my servers to my
modem.  Question is, can I simulate the switch with a Linux server and
be more careful about which MAC addresses get service?  I also want this
bridge machine to have one of the global IP addresses.  Naturally, I
want to implement an alarm feature for when and if a foreign computer
is detected.

Is implementing a smart switch the sort of thing that the Linux
bridging code is used for?

believed to be clean.