[PLUG] DSL Provider Recommendations Sought

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Sun Feb 13 20:38:05 UTC 2011

>>>>> "Larry" == Larry T <holgate17 at gmail.com> writes:

Larry> At our office (50th & Division) we were on the outer end of
Larry> copper reach from the Belmont switch.  We recently switched to
Larry> comcast business and our DSL on that is very good.

DSL != comcast.  DSL usually refers to a specific family of
technologies that operate on twisted pair infrastructure.  I think you
are using DSL here as synonym for Internet, which isn't really accurate.

Larry> At home (Near Univ of PDX) I had comcast and switched to CLEAR.
Larry> They have improved the signal strength and stability greatly in
Larry> the last year.  I like it a lot as well as the fact that you
Larry> can get a USB Portable modem for $5/mo. and it also works well
Larry> at most Portland areas.

It might be confusing to refer to the University of Portland as "Univ
of PDX), since the unreleated Portland State University has the domain
name pdx.edu.  The University of Portland (on N. Willamette Blvd) is a
private catholic institution, its domain name is up.edu.

Also, historically, there were no Linux drivers for the USB dongle
that Clear sells.  So, at least check on that before you buy.

Larry> The office on NE Broadway has a pretty accurate map that shows
Larry> antenna locations.

Maps may well be accurate about tower locations.  However, the fickle
ways of radio communication can sometimes inject a large infusion of
uncertainty into the question of reception.

--
Russell Senior, President
russell at personaltelco.net