[PLUG] Internet addictions and technology.

Michael C. Robinson plug_1 at robinson-west.com
Mon Feb 14 09:08:49 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-02-13 at 13:03 -0800, wes wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 12:27 PM, Richard Owlett <rowlett at pcnetinc.com>wrote:
>
> > Michael C. Robinson wrote:
> > > I am interested in a specialty part that should be easy to make.
> > > The problem with patch cables is that they can be unplugged.  I
> > > have Internet connected lines going to servers where the lines
> > > themselves are filtered by those servers.  If the cables are
> > > unplugged, the servers are effectively bypassed.  I want an
> > > obnoxious alarm ...
> > >

> > I'm not yet a *nix user ;)
> > But, Windows(tm) volunteers the info that "a network cable is
> > unplugged". That seems to indicate that standard hardware can
> > detect that situation. I assume *nix is as capable as Windows (I
> > duck for cover ;). Monitor that function for a 'change of state'.
> >
> > Whether to add this to "client" or "server" [terms used *loosely
> > ;] is left to implimentor.
> >

> This is, of course, the concept. But Michael (the original poster) is not a
> programmer. He is more asking whether a tool that can be used for this
> purpose already exists.
>
> If not, he will probably have to improve his programming skills and write it
> himself :)
>
> -wes

Actually, I'm a computer science major.  If there is a smart switch that
does 802.1x and MAC filtering, that will be enough.  If it is a couple
hundred dollars, I'm sure I can swing that down the road.  Not a now
solution, but I guess it'll have to do.

As far as a fireable offense, this is a home network which I'm sure many
people have.  That said, what is viewed from this network is still a
concern.

On a non technical note, how do other people deal with addictive
Internet content whether it be: gambling, social media, or
pornographic web sites (which includes hulu depending on what you
watch).  You can let yourself go of course, but if surfing certain
types of content is a fireable offense at work, why get in the
habit at home?  The Internet is not policed at all or pornography
wouldn't be freely available to anyone.  There is such a thing as
decency which broadcast television had mostly observed until recently,
the Grammy's tonight being a prime example.

Everything from inappropriately revealing costuming to sexually
suggestive dancing to inappropriate host comments.  The comments ranged
from I had sex with the next performer to I was smoking Salvia with
Miley Cyrus back stage.  The cavalier attitude about sex displayed at
the Grammy awards is disturbing and in stark contrast with what is
expected of people in the real world.  Maybe in our society there is a
push to treat sex as a performance and a form of recreation, but
sex is not a performance and leaving marriage out of "recreational sex"
is wrong for so many reasons.  The way the Internet and the media are
today, you would think that all Americans are cavalier about sex,
marriage, and children.  I'm sure most of us realize that a majority of
people follow a set of moral principles that demand a very different
attitude.

Just because someone has values, addiction is still a very real danger.
The difference today verses 31 years ago is that the Internet delivers
addictive content at blazingly fast speeds to people in potentially
private spaces.  Add that many Americans live in rural areas or
otherwise find themselves socially isolated in our fast paced modern
world.  The social dynamic that could help alleviate the addiction
danger is gone.  Humans are social creatures, we do better among others
with similar values than we do alone.  Addicts are usually alone,
unseen, and they usually try to hide their problem.  Internet in the
home can be a disaster.

Thing is, a true addict sooner or later will slip up and the addiction
will affect their real life.  This is as true of alcoholism as it is of
a porn or gambling addiction.  Getting fired is just the tip of the
iceberg, people end up divorcing and there are other potentially worse
consequences for addicts.  I realize the home is treated as the castle
where censorship should stop at the door, but the problem with that is
that the Internet takes you out of your house and potentially nothing
you do on it is private.  One wants to be able to follow a value system
whether that means stay behind a filter or whatever that may entail.
Addiction topples a person's value system.  Technical barriers to keep
the honest honest are not solutions to the addiction problem, but these
barriers can help people who are trying to do the right thing anyways.
So much energy has been focused on giving people access to the Net that
I fear little has been done to address what people have access to and
how this will affect both individuals and entire communities.

Linux is a positive outcome of the Internet, but increased proliferation
of pornography is not.  Fighting a billion dollar industry by saying I'm
just going to stay away, I'm just going to leave the filter on.  I won't
look at pictures that are likely to turn me on...  The danger is, you
likely do turn the filter off sooner or later regardless of your values.
The Internet needs to be policed and the sex trade ought to be called
what it is.  Portland residents should be ashamed that there are so many
"Adult" businesses that promote sexual activity.  The problem should be
tackled from the supply side.  Tackling the problem yourself by saying I
won't be a consumer of this, curiosity can trip you up.  The supply of
pornography and other addictive Internet deliverable materials needs to
be reduced.  Yes one can say, "I won't go back for more of this
material," and possibly succeed.  What about people who can't accomplish
this or who haven't accomplished this yet?

Technical solutions like use 802.1x authentication combined with having
another person administrate the actual Internet connection, these
solutions reinforce a person's value system and complement it.  As far
as societal decay in general and the Internet specifically, this is a
broad discussion that needs to happen sooner or later in communities
around the world.  I hope, sooner than later, that law enforcement
will crack down on the sex trade and other Internet enhanced criminal
activity.  There should be support groups for people who have to use the
Internet on a daily basis who struggle with some of the things the
Internet offers.  If there aren't, maybe this community should form
some.  While were at, we should tell the media that we are tired of
shows like Two and a Half Men and other violent shows.  The less good
clean wholesome entertainment there is, the more people will fall back
on technical approaches to keeping the unhealthy stuff out of their
lives.  The battle can't be won without community effort and attacking
the supply side.