[PLUG] Internet addictions and technology

Robert Munro ramunro at speakeasy.net
Tue Feb 15 08:11:58 UTC 2011

This probably belongs on Plug-talk, but I'll reply to you one time here.

I don't follow Plug-talk, btw. So if you want to reply please do so via
private email.

Truer words have never been written than "You can't legislate morality."

That also applies to trying to shut down those who profit from vices or
trying to censor the Internet as a whole, or even your own small corner
of it. The name "Portland" reveals that this has always been, and still
is, a seaport town. Think about that for a moment. If you read history,
you'll find that the term "Skid Road" was invented here when they were
still logging the West Hills, and only later it morphed into "Skid Row".

The stories about there having been tunnels beneath a few Old Town bars
that led directly to the waterfront are true. Many one-time loggers got
drunk downtown and woke up on a sailing voyage to Shanghai, China, thus
the term "Shanghaied". San Francisco was more flamboyant in its sinning
but Portland was perhaps just a little more businesslike, and discrete.

I won't go through the history, but suffice it to say that the Memorial
Coliseum was built over a red-light district that had flourished in the
Rose Quarter. Chinatown was once a nest of opium dens and Chinese clubs
mostly dedicated to gambling, and even the Lotus Cafe was at one time a
card club, a block away from the courthouse. Now it is just a lunchtime
cafe for lawyers, judges and juries, but as recently as the mid-1980s I
can recall that it was a dire dive where some drunk shot the bartender,
dead, .357 in the chest just for having told the guy to leave, earlier.

Then there was Bill's Gold Coin, the hooker bar just on the other side
of the facing block from Jakes restaurant, where there's a gay bar now,
or was the last time I looked. The upper floors were a gay 'bathhouse'.

Bud Clark was perhaps Portland's most honest and effective mayor in our
city's history, but consider that he got elected from running the Goose
Hollow Inn, which was a free for all venue for sex and drugs in the 70s
although he did close the place a bit early to encourage responsibility.

Bud Clark lost his first family to a drunk driver, but built the Goose,
so if you want to talk about society and morality you might look him up.

Neil Goldschmidt, on the other hand - Portland's golden boy of politics
and later Oregon Governor and US Secretary of Transportation - had been
fucking his underage neighbor girl while he was in office and continued
to do so for many years. You can sometimes run into him at Goose Hollow
but the woman died recently, a life ruined, and a very long awful story.

Goldschmidt's driver had an affair with his wife, but Bernie Giusto got
the job of Multnomah County Sheriff and he managed to hang on to it for
a long time. He was only forced to withdraw after much of this came out.

The fact is that in Oregon we live on the edge of a corrupt and failing
military industrial empire that's distracting us proles with irrelevant
sex and sports and advertising the tacky consumer gadgets made in China
and sold at Wal-Mart, and it's up to us to maintain a sense of morality.

Every bar you might walk into in Portland has lottery video poker, that
inexorable tax on the innumerate who can't figure out that they'll lose
over time by playing. That the State runs this is exceptionally odious,
but it's a tax on stupidity so I guess the losers deserve the fleecing.

There are stripper bars all over town, "gentlemen's clubs" where you'll
be welcome as long as you keep buying drinks and tipping dancers. There
are also sex clubs, I've heard. You can buy drugs in any downtown club,
and that's not new. It has been more or less the case forever, I think.

And yet, you want to worry about the best way of filtering the Internet
for yourself and your subscribers? Wake up, Michael, we're in Portland!

I think you need to get out more, and perhaps read some of our history.

The bottom line is how you choose to live your life. Want to wank it to
a video? Go ahead. Got a special lady friend you'd like to save it for?
You can do that instead. It's up to you. No women in your life? They're
over 50% of the population, and unlike China, there are girls your age,
and most importantly, you do not need to be the censor for anyone else.

If you have people asking you to censor the Internet, tell them that is
up to them. As in, if you don't want to see it, don't look. That is the
case in real life, and it also applies on the Internet. It's up to them
to live their life and you should not let them put in on you, not ever,
not for business accounts nor most especially for people's home systems.

Just take care of yourself and what you do in your own life, and allow
other people your respectful space to let them take care of themselves.

Best wishes,
Robert