[PLUG] IBM T60

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu Feb 17 04:58:27 UTC 2011

On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 20:21:31 -0800
Marvin Kosmal <mkosmal at gmail.com> dijo:

>> Linux should run just fine on it. Possible trouble areas:
>>
>> 	Suspend/resume
>> 	Compiz for video, depends on the graphics chip
>> 	Battery life
>>
>> But $350 sounds rather high to me for a machine that sounds like it
>> is at least four or five years old. Thinkpads are well made, but not
>> immortal. Check eBay.

>Good tip
>
>Just looking for something cheap for the neighbor kid.  He does work
>for me.

I'd look at the current crop of netbooks. It seems to me you can get
one with faster CPU, more hard drive, for about the same price or less,
and it will be brand new. Probably no DVD, though. But Free Geek could
probably scare up a USB DVD drive. And it will be much lighter weight,
easier to tote to school and back.

I don't know if you can get a new netbook without OS or with Linux
preinstalled, but various netbooks have been discussed on the list
numerous times.