[PLUG] Internet addictions and technology

Ronald Chmara ronabop at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 07:09:08 UTC 2011

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 10:42 PM, Tim <tim-pdxlug at sentinelchicken.org> wrote:
>> Nothing you do will be 100%, unless you unplug from the net. So. you
>> need to decide how much risk you are willing to take.
>
> Yes, and in fact there are some academic papers out there that
> establish this pretty convincingly.  This problem is well studied in
> the context of trying to prevent prisoners from passing messages to
> one another without being detected.

Late to the thread, but I once actually worked on a project which
involved giving prisoners access to the internet (via a work program,
where the nodes were connected with internet-capable computers)....
our solution was based on serious machine, and router-level,
whitelisting, and locking down the hardware. If there's *any* link at
all, blacklisting solutions just don't cut it, as any horny 12 year
old, mid-age oppressed political dissident, or old hacker can tell
you.

-Ronabop