[PLUG] Thinkpad T60, T61

wes plug at the-wes.com
Mon Feb 21 22:10:18 UTC 2011

> Before buying any used laptop, use google to find out about other
> people's experiences.   If you see the same flaws cropping up over
> and over, this may be a manufacturing defect, limiting the lifespan
> of every unit made.  Thus, 2007 manufactured laptops may outlast 2011
> manufactured laptops, if the 2011 laptops are flawed.  Sadly, many
> wearout flaws don't become common until after the warranty expires.
>
> Keith

This is exactly why I still use a laptop from 2003. I keep buying used ones
of the same model to steal parts from. I will continue doing this until
either my computing needs overrun the laptop's functional limitations, or
until the interweb runs out of parts for me.

my screen does 1920x1200 and I can run for 7 hours on good batteries (the
optical drive is swappable with a battery, floppy drive, and I'm sure other
things).

It's a dell d800. this sucker is OLD, but it just refuses to die. I also
don't need a cooling pad on the bottom, as I have thus far been unable to
overheat it. I have no problem letting it sit on a cushy blanket or pillow
for hours, and then it can go straight on my lap without a subsequent need
for application of burn cream.

The hingest are starting to wear a bit, and the screen doesn't get as bright
as modern models, and some of the thinner parts of the casing are starting
to develop cracks, and the bottom corners of the screen have broken off
completely at this point, but these are all minor cosmetic things caused
more by my abuse of the poor thing than by normal wear & tear. Plus, they
are all easily fixable by buying one with a broken screen or something and
swapping them out.

-wes