[PLUG] Yocto Project seeks local testers - free food/beer!

Scott Garman sgarman at zenlinux.com
Tue Feb 22 16:44:30 UTC 2011

Hello all,

I work with some folks at Intel who are really passionate about embedded
Linux development. We've been working on the Yocto Project, a build
system and set of tools you can use to create embedded Linux
distributions. If you're familiar with OpenEmbedded or Poky, we are
based on these projects.

http://yoctoproject.org

One of the things we're adding to this system is an Eclipse-based
development environment to help accelerate the creation of embedded
Linux userspace applications and Linux-based products.

We'd like to get some feedback from people about how well our tools
work, and as such we're going to sponsor a little get-together for some
folks who want to be our "guinea pigs" to try out our software. We're
asking for informed opinions about what we're doing and how we could
improve, and in return we will be providing free food and tasty
beverages (yes, I mean beer).

This gathering will be one evening in late Feb/early March. I'm thinking
that the SE Lucky Lab function room would be a good spot to hold this -
but this isn't set in stone and in fact is open to suggestions by those
who would like to attend.

In order to keep this session focused and productive, I'm looking for no
more than a dozen people to participate. One or both of the following
things should be true:

* You've done embedded Linux development before (or are quite familiar
with the process - perhaps by setting up a router with OpenWRT and
customizing it)
* You are familiar with an IDE that runs on Linux, particularly Eclipse

We would be open to having 1 or 2 people join this who may not have an
embedded background or Eclipse knowledge, but you should be a software
application developer and well-versed with your build tools.

You have to be willing to do some "homework" first by setting up Eclipse
with our plugin. Here's information about where to obtain the plugin and
a screencast which demonstrates some basics of using it:

http://yoctoproject.org/projects/eclipse

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZlOu-gLsh0

To be clear, this isn't intended to be a "training" course on how to use
our tools. We're looking more for what your initial impressions are
about using these tools and observing how you'll attempt to do a few
things with them at the event. Of course we'll be happy to answer
questions in-person and on our mailing lists.

Does this interest you? If so, please drop me a line (off-list) and we'd
be happy to buy dinner and drinks!

Thanks,

Scott Garman

--