[PLUG] Speech-to-text Applications for Linux?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat Feb 26 15:02:07 UTC 2011

   My Google searches find a number of text-to-speech applications (including
some for emacs), but not speech-to-text applications. There seems to be some
work on toolkits useful for application developers (such as the toolkits
being developed at CMU), but not much in the way of working applications.

   Does anyone here know of applications that run on linux and can transform
speech into text using any editor? By "any editor" I mean it doesn't matter
what the written portion uses not that the software need work with any text
editor.

   I believe a couple of subscribers know folks who use or need such an
application so all suggestions and pointers would be helpful.