[PLUG] Broken Sony Vaio PCG-691L

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sun Feb 27 02:26:03 UTC 2011

While visiting with a couple of friends this afternoon they showed me a
Sony Vaio PCG-691L computer that is broken. The problem is that the
power connector is kaput. The battery is currently dead, but they told
me that even when it was charged the computer would not boot. They took
it to RedTop <unknown to me> computer repair who advised them that it
was unrepairable. One of the two took it apart a bit but was unable to
determine if it was a broken wire or exactly where the problem resides.

I wrote down the following from the bottom of the case:

Model	PCG-691L
P/N		28155130
Ser #	3221143
ATI Mobility Radeon 9200

They are aware that I am part of the Linux crowd and they asked me if I
knew anyone who could fix it. I advised them that I could install Linux
on it for them, but if there was an insurmountable hardware failure I
would not be of much help. However, I also said that I would query the
group to see if anyone had any suggestions.

They have another laptop and a desktop computer, so this computer is
unneeded, but they'd like to have it working again. I might get them to
use it as a computer to learn Linux on (they are both interested in
Linux), if only it could be repaired.

Suggestions?