[PLUG] Broken Sony Vaio PCG-691L

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Feb 28 16:22:07 UTC 2011

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011, John Jason Jordan wrote:

> I searched on eBay and there are at least half a dozen sellers offering DC
> power connectors for prices under $10. I am guessing that this is a common
> failure in this particular laptop. I told my friends to shop on eBay and
> maybe they can fix it themselves. There is also a seller offering a
> diagnosis for $10, cost of repair to be determined after he has it in his
> hands and has looked at it. If he can't fix it the diagnosis is free. One
> way or another it looks like their PCG-691L is repairable.

   Twenty years ago I had a Gateway portable that was designed and built for
them by TI. The internal power supply failed at 13 months (with a 12-month
warranty, of course). I paid to have it repaired and when the same thing
happened a second time the company admitted the power supply was a poor
design and they were failing just after the warranty periods for many
suckers ... er, customers. At the third failure I got rid of that computer
and never bought another product from Gateway.