[PLUG] battery voltage monitor

Denis Heidtmann denis.heidtmann at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 23:29:32 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 12:54 PM, Russell Senior <seniorr at aracnet.com> wrote:

> Denis> When I received this laptop (eee pc 900) it had ubuntu 9.04
> Denis> installed.  I now have 10.04 (new install).  On the old system
> Denis> gnome-power-statistics had, among other things, a plot of
> Denis> battery voltage.  The current version lacks voltage; it has
> Denis> only battery power (%).  There have been erroneous power values
> Denis> presented, so I would really like to have the voltage data
> Denis> back.
>
> Denis> Anybody have any ideas why the voltage data is gone, and any
> Denis> way to get voltage info?
>
> You might look in /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/
> --
> Russell Senior         ``I have nine fingers; you have ten.''

Thanks, Russell.  There is a file there named voltage_now, which seems to
hold a recent voltage.  What system decides when to update that file?  Can I
interrogate whatever writes that file to get more frequent updates? BAT0 is
a link to   BAT0 ->
../../devices/LNXSYSTM:00/LNXSYBUS:00/PNP0A08:00/PNP0C0A:00/power_supply/BAT0,
for whatever that is worth.

I mentioned that I thought the power % reported was faulty.  Perhaps not.
 There are long comments on the web that the eee pc 900 has a battery drain
problem: it is drained even when off (perhaps 14 mA constant!)  I am looking
into that.

-Denis