[PLUG] DVD RAM Drives (and Linux)

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at cyber-office.net
Tue Jan 4 15:27:57 UTC 2011

I'm looking at DVD RAM drives but have no experience with them other
than my Panasonic DVR can use (recommends using) them.

As some background I've been fighting the Panasonic for the last few
months when recording to DVD RWs.  Worked fine for the first few months
but now I'm having varying levels of success.

I got a gift certificate for the holidays and used it to order DVD RAM
disks.  They arrive next week so I don't know if they will solve the DVR
problem but if they do I'd like to experiment with taking the recordings
from the disk and converting them to another format so I can place them
on my home network for viewing from other systems around the house.

Doing a Google search I came across very little current discussions on
using the DVD RAM drives with Linux.  The latest postings I found (2006,
2009) were mostly positive.
    Anyone on the list used DVD RAM drives with Linux?  What drives,
kernel, distribution, etc. did you have success (or failures) with?

TIA,
Rod