[PLUG] Fedora 9 network install...

Daniel Hedlund daniel at digitree.org
Sun Jan 9 04:37:43 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 20:26, Matt McKenzie <lnxknight at gmail.com> wrote:
> Question-
>
> Is there a particular reason you are trying to install Fedora 9, which is
> wayyyyy beyond End Of Life (maybe I missed something from earlier, sorry)?
> Fedora is on 14 now.  They support N-1 releases.

A couple months ago, Michael was trying to install Fedora 9 and the
reason cited at the time was newer versions of Fedora did not support
his i586-based CPU.  It does appear, however, that Fedora 11 might
support i586.  i686 and above was started with Fedora 12:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/F12X86Support

> My point is, they probably did fix the installer, with F10 or a patch to F9,
> or something, but that too is now way out of date.

I agree.  He might have better luck trying Fedora 11...however...

I would never recommend Fedora 11, or even Fedora 9 as they are both
no longer supported; no security updates are being released for these
versions of the distro.  He might have better luck trying to find out
what version of CentOS will install on i586 and see if that's still
supported...

...or failing that, switch to another distribution that does still
support his architecture (Debian?) or give in and upgrade to newer
hardware.

Michael, if you are unfamiliar with setting up and working with a
distro other than Fedora, it might be worth stopping by the clinic on
the 16th for some hands on support.

Cheers,

Daniel Hedlund
daniel at digitree.org