[PLUG] Geolocation in HTML

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Mon Jan 10 17:10:18 UTC 2011

On Jan 10, 2011 6:27 AM, "Michael Rasmussen" <michael at jamhome.us> wrote:

> I'm reading Dive into HTML5 http://diveintohtml5.org/
>
> There's a chapter on HTML5 features including Geolocation.
> Clicking through the test link Firefox pops up a warning "website wants
Geolocation.  Tell them?" kinda thing.

> I click yes and a Google map showing my exact location pops up.
> Repeat with Chrome, same results including getting my permission first.
> Konqueror doesn't support the feature.
>
> This raises two questions:
> How?  I'm doing my web browing through my laptop -> home WiFi -> DSL
linkage.

Do you remember the Google wifi capture that their streetview cars did?
Most of the location providers use the physical presence of wifi networks as
part of how they locate sites.

They also use the Android phones to feed back this sort of location data, so
they can compute location mappings and all. Apple presumably do the same
with their phones, too.

SkyHook, one of the competing groups, actually have a little form where you
can submit your network details and location to vimprove their database.

Regards,
    Daniel