[PLUG] Geolocation in HTML

Michael michael at jamhome.us
Mon Jan 10 17:20:43 UTC 2011

Rasmussen" <michael at jamhome.us> wrote:

I'm reading Dive into HTML5 http://diveintohtml5.org/

>> There's a chapter on HTML5 features including Geolocation.
>> Clicking through the test link Firefox pops up a warning
"website wants
> Geolocation.  Tell them?" kinda thing.
>>
>> I click yes and a Google map showing my exact
location pops up.
>> Repeat with Chrome, same results including
getting my permission first.
>> Konqueror doesn't support the
feature.

>> This raises two questions:

How?  I'm doing my web browing through my laptop -> home WiFi -> DSL
> linkage.
>
> Do you remember the Google wifi capture
that their streetview cars did?
> Most of the location providers use
the physical presence of wifi networks as
> part of how they locate
sites.

> They also use the Android phones to feed back this
sort of location data, so
> they can compute location mappings and
all. Apple presumably do the same
> with their phones, too.
>

> SkyHook, one of the competing groups, actually have a little form
where you
> can submit your network details and location to vimprove
their database.

None of those methods would require any browser
interaction at all.
My IP address would give me away.
For that matter my browser thinks I'm at 192.168.8.32 - private range
address.

I'm going to redo this with a sniffer and see what the
traffic actually is.

--
     Michael Rasmussen

http://www.jamhome.us/