[PLUG] HomeRunHD / encrypted cable and media boxes

Larry Brigman larry.brigman at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 17:42:58 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 8:51 AM, Rogan Creswick <creswick at gmail.com> wrote:
> A friend (and former PLUGer) is looking into media PC solutions, and I
> pointed out the HomeRunHD since it seemed to have good reviews when I
> was looking my self.  However, I think things have changed with
> respect to cable transmission since I was interested -- do you need
> extra hardware to decrypt a signal (compared to using a new LCD tv?)
> or can you just plug the video in device into the cable as though it
> were a TV?
>
> Any insights would be great!  His email to me is below, for some context.
>

> Rogan,
> I was looking at the HomeRunHD that you linked to.  It says it doesn't
> work with "encrypted" cable channels.  I'm not sure what that means,
> but I suspect it only supports basic cable.  Although, it may mean it
> just doesn't support pay per view, hbo, on demand, etc.
> Do you know much about that?  Or how we might check how well it will
> work before buying it?
> Jason

The box will do what is known in the industry as clear qam digital.
This is similar to
the astc broadcast hdtv.  This means that anything that you could use
as a digital tv without
a cable box the HomeRunHD will receive.
Silicondust announced a new box with three tuners and cablecard
support last year.  Their site seems to
indicate they are now in testing certification process for these.
http://www.silicondust.com/products/hdhomerun/prime/