[PLUG] HomeRunHD / encrypted cable and media boxes

Erik Lane eriklane at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 17:54:13 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 9:44 AM, Larry Brigman <larry.brigman at gmail.com>wrote:

> > Rogan,
> > I was looking at the HomeRunHD that you linked to.  It says it doesn't
> > work with "encrypted" cable channels.  I'm not sure what that means,
> > but I suspect it only supports basic cable.  Although, it may mean it
> > just doesn't support pay per view, hbo, on demand, etc.
> > Do you know much about that?  Or how we might check how well it will
> > work before buying it?
> > Jason
>
> Ondemand and pay per view is not supported with these boxes.

Here in Corvallis, the only unencrypted channels are the super basic ones,
like local broadcast. There might be a total of 10-15 channels that aren't
encrypted, if I remember right. Not many, anyway. Most of the channels on
the "extended basic" cable in my apartment are in fact encrypted and I need
a box to decode them.

Erik