[PLUG] Resolved, sorta: Re: convert video to cheap handheld player

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Fri Jan 14 04:22:38 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 01:35:54PM -0800, Keith Lofstrom wrote:
> After more frobbing, I ran across "mencoder", part of the mplayer
> suite, and that is the tool that worked.

More surprisingly - I started up Windows 2000 under vmware,
intending to install the "AVIconverter" windows program on the
miniCD that came with the player on the Win2K pseudodisk .
The disk popped up a window, but I did not notice that it was
a Gnome window, and clicked install.exe .

Which automagically installed the windows program under Wine.
And it works under Wine, though like many programs it uses
teensy-tiny characters on my 2048x1536 laptop screen.  I
imagine there is a gnome window zoom tool that might fix that.

For now I will stay with the command line mencoder, wrapped in
a shell script that is easier to automate.  The conversions take
a long time, so it is probably better to batch them up overnight.

Keith