[PLUG] Resolved: [PLUG-TALK] Ubuntu 10.04 Update Manager strangeness

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Wed Jan 19 17:52:15 UTC 2011

On 01/19/2011 09:02 AM, Michael Moore wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 8:43 AM, Richard C. Steffens<rsteff at comcast.net>  wrote:
>> <...>
>> I've not seen this behavior before. Is it something that I should be
>> concerned about? Or, should I not waste time trying to figure out why it
>> happened this way, this time?
> The only reason (err...the only obvious, to me, reason) it might
> behave like that is if it wasn't actually downloading when it said it
> was downloading -- that is, it was trying to download, but failing to
> connect to the repository.  I haven't had that issue, but I'm
> surprised it wouldn't throw up an error message like "Download
> failed."
>
> I guess what I would do, next time, is make sure to monitor bandwidth
> use during the update process to see if it really is downloading when
> it says it is downloading.

Makes sense to me. Thanks.

> (Why did you post this to "PLUG-TALK" rather than the regular list?)

Because I wasn't paying attention. Using Thunderbird, when I start
typing in a name in the To: line, T-bird will finish it for me and offer
other possibilities. It used to be that when I started typing PLUG, it
finished the line with PLUG List <plug at lists.pdxlinux.org>. For some
reason, now it's putting Plug-talk ahead of Plug. Alerted to the
problem, I'll pay more attention in the future.

Thanks again to all who responded.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens