[PLUG] IE drops below 50%

Michael Moore moore.michael.m at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 22:05:09 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 10:48 AM, Keith Lofstrom <keithl at kl-ic.com> wrote:

> Maybe, finally, web developers will produce HTML that is standards
> compliant, rather than IE compliant.  Perhaps this will also spur
> Gnash development - when it becomes more useful than Adobe Flash
> Player, Gnash can be bundled with Chromium and maybe Chrome, making
> Chrome even more open source.

There has been much tech press lately about Google's decision to drop
support for H.264 in upcoming Chrome builds, in favor of WebM (VP8)
and Theora.  See, for example:

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/Googles-H264-Move-The-Right-Thing-or-the-Worst-Thing-for-Web-Standards-71686.html

I am having a hard time making sense of it all, and developing any
sense of whether this is "good for Linux" or "bad for Linux."  Apple
fanboys (John Gruber, especially) and (from what I can tell) many
Microsofties are unhappy with Google's move.  Some Linux folk seem
pleased; others, not so much.

While I've seen a lot of discussion about whether this move
strengthens or weakens Flash's stranglehold on web video, I've not
seen any mention of what effect (if any) this might have on Gnash or
other open-source implementations of Flash.

Basically, I'm lost.  I just hope we don't go back to the days of some
stuff not working / not being accessible when you're booted into a
Linux OS.

Michael