[PLUG] Nikon scanner

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sat Jan 22 00:23:40 UTC 2011

On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 20:38:28 -0800 (PST)
Doug Sokell <dsokell at yahoo.com> dijo:

>Anyone out there familiar with using Nikon scanners with Linux? My
>computer refuses to recognize my Nikon 4000 ED scanner, even though
>xsane is installed.

Doug,

I'm the one who was sitting next to you at the Lucky Lab Sunday.

I stopped by Free Geek on other business today, and while there looked
for an adapter for my laptop. They didn't have anything, although they
did have a silver-twisted FireWire cable that looked identical to the
one you had with you. Cables there are only a buck, but I didn't buy
the silver-twisted cable because we already know it won't get your
scanner connected to my laptop.

In the meantime, I would suggest that the best route at this point is
for you to find a different computer somewhere that has a FireWire port
that your cable will fit, even if it's a Windows computer. The purpose
is to verify that the scanner and cable are functioning, i.e., it's not
a hardware problem.

If the scanner does work on another computer, that proves that the
scanner and the cable are OK, but there might still be a hardware
problem with the FireWire card in your computer. To test that, see if
you can borrow another FireWire device. If the other device works fine,
then we'll know that the FireWire card in your computer is functioning
correctly.

The purpose of these suggestions is to eliminate any possibility of
hardware failure. Once we know the hardware is sound, then we can
address the software issues. Software issues are harder to
troubleshoot, so before spending a lot of time on the software it is
more efficient to start by verifying that the hardware is good.