[PLUG] Re-formatting Date in .csv Field

wes plug at the-wes.com
Wed Jan 26 00:07:07 UTC 2011

>   Dates are written as [m]m/dd/yyyy and as a numeric field, not as a text
> field surrounded by quotation marks. I'd like the dates to be written in
> the
> more standard YYYY-MM-DD format. OO.o will let me view the dates in
> different formats but the underlying format is unchanged.

Do I interpret this correctly to mean that OOo will display the date in the
format you want, but will not save it to disk in that format?

Maybe try copy/paste into a new spreadsheet?

>   Please offer suggestions on how to convert all 13.5-thousand rows to the
> preferred date format.

I'm a lazy cheater. I would change the field separator to some character
that is not found in the file already: sed s/","/"%"/

then work the other magic that has been offered already.

if you still need help, send me the whole file and I will spend some time
coming up with a process that really works and send it back to you.

-wes