[PLUG] Anyone Using Google Voice with T-Mobile?

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Wed Jan 26 20:42:00 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 12:34, Bill Barry <bill at billbarry.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 12:25 PM, Mark Phillips
> <mark at phillipsmarketing.biz> wrote:
>>
>> Wifi calling on my android phone with T-mobile is not very reliable. Some
>> wifi points connect, some don't, those that connect drop calls, etc. I think
>> google voice is VoIP, so it sounds as if it would be a replacement for the
>> wifi calling app on my phone. But some boards say that T-mobile customers
>> get charged minutes even when using GV.

As far as I know the wifi calling thing lets you be billed minutes,
indeed.  GV definitely does.

>> Anyway, I was wondering if anyone on the list uses GV + Android + T-mobile
>> and what their experience has been.

Solid.  My partner and I have very occasional quality issues,
typically low volume, when calling to or from Australia, but local
stuff has been dead on.

>> Also, in reading about GV, it says I have to get a new phone number. How
>> does that number relate to my mobile number, or is it something in the
>> background that the world does not see? The google docs are not very helpful
>> in explaining just what GV provides.

So, the best way to use Google Voice is that you have people call the
GV number, and it then calls whatever set of phones you tell it to.
Those phones need their own number, but that is hidden from the rest
of the world.

AFAIK, GV actually intercepts the request to call from Android, talks
over the Internet to their servers, has GV call your mobile, picks
that call up silently, and then connects you through on the outbound
leg.

Anyway, you can also just redirect your voicemail stuff into GV, but
that isn't nearly as nice.

Finally, if you port your number it *stops* working on your current
mobile; you would need to establish a new mobile service with T-Mobile
for GV to be able to call through to the bit of hardware.

If you have more specific questions feel free to add 'em on, though I
am pretty busy right now so might be high latency in responding. :)

Regards,
    Daniel
--
⎋ Puppet Labs Developer – http://puppetlabs.com