[PLUG] another reason or two why IPv6 rocks

Michael Rasmussen michael at jamhome.us
Sun Jan 30 01:53:38 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 10:57:22AM -0800, Michael Rasmussen wrote:
> This is a bit of a rant . . .
>
> So far my largest issue with IPv6 is attempting to grasp the enormity of the address space.

A Nice Guy sent me an offline response:

  'Enormity' is one of my favorite words to be seen used correctly, because
  it often surprises people who think it means enormousness or immensity.

  It primarily means some great horror or something terrible. My dictionary
  leads off with: 'a grave offense against order, right, or decency; a
  quality or state of being immoderate, monstrous, or outrageous.'

What a great catch, eh?

So it seems my issue is with the immensity.  This immensity will dull the
enormity of some net citizens.  No longer will it be possible for them to scan
address ranges checking for exploitable targets. With the sheer size of the
IPv6 space random probes just won't be efficient.

Unfortunately, this will do nothing to address the enormity of spammer's actions.

--
      Michael Rasmussen, Portland Oregon
  Trading kilograms for kilometers since 2003