[PLUG] Where Are Login Messages?

Wayne E. Van Loon Sr. wevl at pacifier.com
Sun Jan 30 18:04:30 UTC 2011

Rich Shepard wrote:
>    When I log in to the system some messages flash on the console before I
> get the user prompt. One of these messages is a warning of something not as
> it should be. These log in messages are not in /var/log/messages. Where can
> I find them?

Rich:
How are you logging in, text console or graphic login window?
If you are using a graphic login window, you might try logging in
through a text console available via Ctrl-Alt-F1, Ctrl-Alt-F2... .
If it is a login problem and not a XWindows problem, you would probably
see it in the text window after logging in.
If nothing shows up logging in, you may have to start XWindows manually
with "startx", then return to the text console (Ctrl-Alt-Fx) to look at
XWindows startup messages.

Someone may know a nice place to view all the XWindows startup messages
Wayne