[PLUG] Mencoder and recording video

Mark S. Townsley mstownsley at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 00:30:43 UTC 2011

Hi:

I am trying to record some TV programs using mencoder from command line.  I
have two older capture cards that I am using.
They are using cx8800 and BT878 chipsets.  I think they have good Linux
support by now.

However, no matter what I do with mencoder, either I get a blank screen or I
get a screen with a lot of lines and no sound either (I am using built-in
sound card).

Is there an easier (and even newer capture card) that works well with Linux
and easier to configure?   I am using Ubuntu but I am open to other distro
and configuration.

Thanks

Mark