[PLUG] The Wii and Linux...

Larry Brigman larry.brigman at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 23:39:11 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 2:36 PM, Michael C. Robinson <
plug_1 at robinson-west.com> wrote:

> Needing a client computer for accessing video rips off of a Linux
> server.  How about that $150 Wii?  Has anyone figured out the server
> side software and the tricks needed to do this?  I'm wondering if the
> Wii has to be damaged with a root kit or not?

No rootkit needed but you will have to install a internet download onto a sd
card installed in the Wii.

> The problems with a micro btx Pentium 4 are three fold.  Problem area 1,
> the computer is still awfully big.  Problem area 2, no remote control.
> Problem area 3, I have yet to figure out how to make Linux look decent
> on a projection HDTV.
>
> If the Wii is happy with the Linux server and sees the lan as the
> Internet without modifying it...  The Wii is set up for the television,
> no guess work.  The Wii address the remote control issue.  The Wii is
> already there and is considerably smaller.  The downside of the Wii is
> that we don't have the Internet package, didn't want to go there.  I
> know nothing about hooking the Wii up to an ethernet network.
>
> So gurus, what do you think?

Haven't tried it but I do have the Wii ethernet device which is needed to
get this running.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Stream-Video-to-your-Wii/