[PLUG] Using iptables QUEUE...

Michael C. Robinson plug_1 at robinson-west.com
Thu Jul 7 23:29:46 UTC 2011

Yes, fairness is hard to define.

To keep fairness simple, no priority queueing where paying more means
more bandwidth.

I was thinking I need the queue target to decide in real time whether
or not to favor host b over host a for example.  My thought is the
following, keep track on an hourly basis who has used the most
bandwidth and if there is a decision between letting that host
through verses another host, the other host goes.  Of course this has
to extend for multiple hosts, so the packet counts have to be compared
to choose who should get through right now.  Another idea is to reduce
packet speed for people doing large downloads so that there is some
bandwidth left for the other hosts.

I'm trying to divvy up two broadband connections between up to 4+ hosts
at a time.

Another thought to control the impact of a mail flood is to set a
maximum saturation level.  If you know how many packets you can handle
instantaneously, it should be possible to signal a slowdown when a limit
is reached.  Whether the slowdown needs to happen at the packet layer or
Postfix should be sending an I'm not ready message is not clear to me.

I'm interested in the QUEUE target because spamcannibal uses it and
getting spamcannibal working is on my todo list.

I originally wanted to do the simplest thing I could think of which was
a strange idea because there are easier ways to do it than queueing
packets to user space.

So the critical goal is to get spamcannibal to learn which means that it
needs to catch email packets as they come in.  Having a better handle on
bandwidth usage and/or more than that, that is something that seems
related to getting spamcannibal working.  The point of spamcannibal is
to slowdown email trouble makers.  Is there a way to log whether or not
packets are coming to user space and track down whether or not they are
being picked up properly?