[PLUG] HP all-in-one printer issue

Russell Johnson russ at dimstar.net
Tue Jul 19 16:58:19 UTC 2011

On Jul 19, 2011, at 9:40 AM, Denis Heidtmann wrote:

> This endless
> loop gives me no opportunity to try anything other than power-off.  This
> leads me to discount computer drivers, etc. as the issue.
>
> I lightly pressed each cartridge onto a wet cloth, indicating three
> colors/black.  This leads me to think that they are not plugged.  (Anybody
> here have a printer that uses #94 and #95 cartridges willing to try these?)
> The seller told me that the thing sat around unused for a couple of years,
> so bad cartridges is not out of the question.

Well, since I believe the ink is water soluble, I believe all you've proven with the wet cloth is that there is ink (dried or otherwise) within reach of the water in the cloth.

Since you aren't getting a cartridge error, it sounds to me like the cartridges are plugged, or dried out. If they are actual HP cartridges, they should have an expiration date built into the electronics that prevent the printer from using them after a time. But that might not apply to 94/95s. The next logical test would be those carts in a different printer, or known working carts in that printer. So you are on the right track.

Russell Johnson
russ at dimstar.net