[PLUG] No dirty headers?

someone plug_1 at robinson-west.com
Sun Jul 24 01:21:13 UTC 2011

I thought the idea behind sc_mailfilter.pl is that it searches headers
for remote servers and logs them into the tarpit.  What does no dirty
headers mean?

I can't use a .forward file to get my spam to spamcannibal, but it
seems I can use redirect.  Trouble is, I don't know how to automate
redirect.  Seems refirect doesn't change the source address where
normal forwarding does.

As far as the comment that I'm running an abnormal email system,
Postfix is commonly configured as an email gateway/relay host.  If you
have two relays like I do, it would be a problem to have mailboxes
created on each one and not synchronized.  The idea behind redundancy
is not to create two email accounts but to ensure that there is more
than one way for mail to come in.  The obvious problem with relay
hosts is that spamcannibal is expecting local delivery of spam on the
mail relay.  This is not realistic for the reasons already mentioned.

One though is to move the relay smtp servers to port 26 and use a
REDIRECT iptables rule, but the relay hosts are working where I will
probably break them trying to change the port they run on.  If I pull
this off though, I can in theory run a local delivery enabled postfix
server on port 25 and use fetchmail.

What does sc_mailfilter.pl really do and what does it really need?

Do I need to move my relay servers launched by MailScanner to port 26?

If I process the spam on the central mailhub, what portions of
spamcannibal do I need to install?

I'm trying to protect my bandwidth or else I wouldn't need spamcannibal.

As far as the mailhub having an outside connection, the only reason I
do that is to ensure that I can email people.  In theory, I should be
able to route outbound email through my email gateways, but having a
theory and putting it into practice are two different things.  For one
thing, I think you have to rewrite email headers to reflect the actual
source when routing outbound email through a separate gateway.
Because of the redundancy, I don't know what to rewrite the headers to
until an email is going out.  The easy solution is to let the mailhub
send email out directly.  Ideally though, the mailhub shouldn't have a
direct Internet connection.

Clearly, I could change from having three Internet connected servers
to having just one.  Trouble with this is, if I want to try something
and potentially break email, there is no way around the break.  With
virtualization, one machine can pretend to be three.  Trouble there
is, I need to take some time to adapt to a single server over three
seperate computers.  I need to be able to split up network ports
etcetera between virtual machines so that I can have machines that are
Internet connected and ones that are not.  Needless to say, switching
to a single server infrasture will take time, it will take effort, and
the switch will cost money.

believed to be clean.