[PLUG] ssh -X me at that

Galen Seitz galens at seitzassoc.com
Mon Jul 25 16:36:22 UTC 2011

Tim Wescott wrote:
> With my latest update (to Ubuntu 11.04), I changed to Evolution from
> Thunderbird.  Hopefully this'll end up being a good idea.  One of the
> things that indicates that it is is that I can now remote shell into my
> work machine from my laptop and successfully run Evolution.  (I used to
> be able to do this with Thunderbird but it broke over a year ago).

While I agree that you should be able to run Thunderbird(and
Evolution) remotely, you're going to chew up bandwidth shoving
graphics over the network.  Not a problem for a LAN, but painful on a
slower network.  Are you running an IMAP or POP server?  Why not
forward the ports you need over ssh and configure your mail client to
use the forwarded ports?

--
Galen Seitz
galens at seitzassoc.com