[PLUG] Open Source Conceptual Equivalents to Dreamweaver

Sam Hart criswellious at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 21:29:28 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 4:07 PM, Richard C. Steffens <rsteff at comcast.net> wrote:
> So far all the web work I've done (granted that's not a huge output) has
> been from scratch; I've hand coded everything. I'm interested in
> learning what's available in the open source community that folks here
> use that would be conceptually equivalent to Dreamweaver -- a tool that
> is WYSIWYG and builds the HTML and css from what I create with it.
>
> I'm not that interested in tools that require something extra to be on
> the eventual web host. If I can run them on my local installation of
> Apache without adding anything to the server that would be best.
>
> TIA for recommendations.

I've not used any of them (so I can't speak to how well they work- I
also haven't used Dreamweaver, so, there's that :-) but
AlternativeTo.net lists several:
http://alternativeto.net/software/adobe-dreamweaver/

A few FLOSS ones:
* http://aptana.com/ (actually, this looks pretty cool, I'm
bookmarking it to check it out later :-)
* http://www.kompozer.net/
* http://bluefish.openoffice.nl/index.html

There's also Amaya that Mike Cherba mentioned.

                                      ---Sam