[PLUG] dns monitor

Michael R michael at jamhome.us
Tue Jul 26 17:27:16 UTC 2011

wes wrote:
> I have a customer that is waiting on a DNS update
for his site to start
> working. He's bugging my guys constantly, so I
promised him we'd call him
> the moment it "works."
Currently, I'm checking his DNS server every few
> minutes manually.
If I could automate this to alert me when it's updated, we
> could
make the call and be done.

> It was also worth the email
because I'd like to be able to do this on a
> broader scale - I'm
curious about how often some public DNS servers update.
> I could
submit a change and time how long it takes each server I'm curious

about to return the new data. I'm particularly interested in the difference
> in response time between 4.2.2.2 and 8.8.8.8.

You could wrap
dig output in a script watching for your expected value and trigger an email
from there.

--
     Michael Rasmussen

http://www.jamhome.us/