[PLUG] dns monitor

Fred James fredjame at fredjame.cnc.net
Tue Jul 26 17:41:21 UTC 2011

wes wrote:
> I have a customer that is waiting on a DNS update for his site to start
> working. He's bugging my guys constantly, so I promised him we'd call him
> the moment it "works." Currently, I'm checking his DNS server every few
> minutes manually. If I could automate this to alert me when it's updated, we
> could make the call and be done.
>
> It was also worth the email because I'd like to be able to do this on a
> broader scale - I'm curious about how often some public DNS servers update.
> I could submit a change and time how long it takes each server I'm curious
> about to return the new data. I'm particularly interested in the difference
> in response time between 4.2.2.2 and 8.8.8.8.
>
> -wes
>
> On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 10:07 AM, nathan w <nathan at nathanewilliams.com>wrote:
>

>> Why? This query reminds me of an article i read describing the process of
>> dns poisoning by pushing "updates" to a dns server at the moment it
>> updates... So again... Why do you want this?
>>

>> Does anyone know of a tool that can monitor DNS replies and notify on
>> success/failure?
>>
>> Basically, I want to find out the moment a DNS server (that I do not
>> control) has updated.
>>
>> thanks,
>> -wes

I don't think I am letting the cat out of the bag ... any hacker should
know this already ... but one never knows ...
    (1) if you can do something manually (say at the CLI) you can
automate that thing via a script (say BASH)
    (2) if the script can receive/intercept the response/output, or the
response can be written to a file, that response can be interpreted
    (3) if the response can be interpreted, a decision process can be
initiated.
Example:
    Query the DNS
    Read the reply
    Upon no change ... do nothing
    Upon change ... do something
For the delay between iterations, see "sleep"
To be sure the action/no action decision does not happen before the
response, see "wait"
Hope this helps ... hope you play nice
Regards
Fred James