[PLUG] dns monitor

Martin A. Brown martin at linux-ip.net
Tue Jul 26 17:44:37 UTC 2011

Hello there,

 : I have a customer that is waiting on a DNS update for his site to
 : start working. He's bugging my guys constantly, so I promised him
 : we'd call him the moment it "works." Currently, I'm checking his
 : DNS server every few minutes manually. If I could automate this
 : to alert me when it's updated, we could make the call and be
 : done.
 :
 : It was also worth the email because I'd like to be able to do
 : this on a broader scale - I'm curious about how often some public
 : DNS servers update. I could submit a change and time how long it
 : takes each server I'm curious about to return the new data. I'm
 : particularly interested in the difference in response time
 : between 4.2.2.2 and 8.8.8.8.

Try this in a terminal:

  watch -n 10 -- host deadcat.org. 4.2.2.2

-Martin

--
Martin A. Brown
http://linux-ip.net/