[PLUG] Confused about multi core processors...

Michael C. Robinson plug_1 at robinson-west.com
Thu Jul 28 03:16:19 UTC 2011

I have a D945GCZ Intel Motherboard with an LGA 775 processor socket and
a 3.06 Ghz P4 on it.  I'm trying to stream mpeg 4 files to a television.
So far, I'm testing playback using the onboard video.  I notice there
are stopping issues with the video.  Obvious question, do I need a video
card?  Maybe I need to upgrade from 1 gig to 4 gigs of ram, not too
expensive.  Maybe I need a faster processor?  It appears that I can
install a Pentium D processor, but these are very inefficient processors
power wise and I'd have to switch to 64 bit CentOS.  Apparently, Core
Duo processors are 32 bit and multi core but I can't find any.  There
are Celeron D processors as well to confuse matters more.  There are
Core 2 Quad and Core 2 Duo processors, but these don't seem to be
compatible with my motherboard.  I'm ordering an Nvidia GT220 video
card, I'm hoping that will work well in Linux.

The trouble obviously is that there are three upgrade paths.  I can
increase the memory, I am upgrading the video, and I can change the
processor.  So there are two upgrade paths left assuming that I have
chosen wisely when it comes to the video card.  Do I need to run the
other two upgrade paths down?

Does MPEG4 playback require a dual core or better processor?

Will an atom processor outperform a Pentium 4?