[PLUG] Confused about multi core processors...

Matt McKenzie lnxknight at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 03:42:14 UTC 2011

1) Discrete video card will very likely help
2) RAM upgrades will almost always help
3) Atom CPU is not compatible with LGA775, it is a low power mobile CPU,
think netbooks, and at some point tablets.  Not what you want to look for,
at least not for this mobo.
It most certainly will NOT outperform a P4, though it is newer, it is not
geared toward performance, it is geared toward low power use and small form
factor.
4) Your CPU probably isn't the bottleneck, it is most likely: one of the
data buses (front side bus for example, and the bus speed of the CPU),
amount of RAM, speed of RAM (DDR2 on your mobo, but also look at the speed,
400mhz, 533mhz, 667mhz), type and speed of video card.
While a 3.06Ghz P4 isn't a speed demon compared to newer stuff, it should be
plenty horsepower for video streaming.

If you want to go dual core, I would suggest a newer mobo, and a Core 2 Duo
or Sandy Bridge chipset "Core i" series, such as i3, i5, i7.

Matt M.
LinuxKnight