[PLUG] Confused about multi core

Ronald Chmara ronabop at gmail.com
Sat Jul 30 04:26:46 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 6:34 PM, Robert Munro <ramunro at speakeasy.net> wrote:
> On Fri 29 Jul 2011 08:59:57 -0700 (PDT) "Michael C. Robinson" wrote:
>>> Robert Munro wrote: The easiest way to see if it's single-threaded,
>>> and whether the CPU is a bottleneck, is to install a visual
>>> monitor. There a several, however I like gkrellm. It's easy to
>>> configure and will show this at a glance.
>> That's easier than running top and enabling per core view by pressing
>> the 1 key?
> That works, too, yes. To each their own, and whatever floats your boat.

FWIW, I've seen a few distros where top (and other tools) show
processes, not necessarily their threads. The two are not the same
thing. There are specific flags/arguments you have to throw in.

Making it even messier, threads are *usually* pinned per process, per
core, so a process view might be all you need, but if threads are
talking across processes, and across cores,... yeah.

YMMV,
-Bop