[PLUG] Chrome tied in a knot

Mike Connors mconnors1 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 01:31:18 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 6:15 PM, Fred James <fredjame at fredjame.cnc.net>wrote:

> Denis Heidtmann wrote:
> > I was browsing around (looking at some bike sites) when a window popped
> up:
> >
> > We have something for you
> > Leave this page?
> > cancel           leave
> >
> > I closed the popup and tried to close the tab, but the popup returned.  I
> > repeated this numerous times with no change in result.
> >
> > I then tried to close Chrome.  No effect.  I tried in Top to kill Chrome,
> > but that did nothing either. I finally shut down, not knowing what was
> going
> > on and not liking it.
> >
> > Ubuntu 10.04
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > -Denis
>
> Huh, this is interesting. I have been running Chrome exclusively on Debian
since it was first released and I'm a very active web user. I've never
experienced this behavior. I'm currently running version 7.0.517.44 with the
content settings for pop-up set to not allowed and I have the Adblock
extension installed.

Also, when a page gets wonky, you can usually kill the page itself via the
Chrome Task Manager. Also, from the command line, can you not do a "killall
chrome"?

My biggest trouble with Chrome is that the flash plugin seems to crash a
lot. Especially, when I have multiple tabs open with sites that are flash
heavy...