[PLUG] OO.o vs. LO

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Jun 7 22:18:08 UTC 2011

On Tue, 7 Jun 2011, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:

> I did about two months ago based on a recommendation of a friend from the
> user group in North Idaho.  He had switched when the first non-beta/non-RC
> version came out. Late 2010.

Rod,

   So it is quite new.

> I've noticed some performance increases.  The fork came about because (my
> take from the postings on the LO list) of SUN's then Oracle's reluctance
> to accept input from non-SUN/non-Oracle developers.

   Looks like a familiar story.

> Don't know of any changes as regards to envelope printing.  I've never had
> much luck even with Asterisk (not the PBX software) or OOo. But the up
> side was it was a fairly pain less upgrade.  I run CentOS and ran into two
> issues.  I had to uninstall OOo and several of the Gnome file associations
> required resetting.

   I'm downloading the SlackBuild source now. I can run them in parallel, but
suspect I'll just replace OO.o once I know files are properly converted.

   I had no problems printing envelopes on my LaserJet 5 until OO.o-3.x. Then
it stopped working.

   Perhaps I should subscribe to the LO mail list after I install the
application and try printing an envelope with it.

Thanks for the insights,