[PLUG] OO.o vs. LO

Joe Shisei Niski joeniski at easystreet.net
Tue Jun 7 23:21:01 UTC 2011

On 06/07/2011 02:27 PM, Rich Shepard wrote:
>     Has anyone here switched from OO.o to LibreOffice? Is there a downside to
> doing so?
>
>     From one comparison I read it appears the fork is based on personality
> difference, but I may well be mistaken in my impression. I know that Sun
> Office is a commercial product now owned by Oracle, but I thought that OO.o
> was still F/OSS.
>
>     Since I'm having problems printing envelopes with OO.o-3.x I thought I'd
> give LO a try to see if it does better.
>
> Rich
i've been using LibreOffice since a Debian/Ubuntu repository was
available for it. It's faster and no more buggy than OO.o, also the
ui/icons are spiffed up a little bit. It's still a dog, imho, but is
good enough, enough of the time, to give it the disk space. The
compatibility with MS Office 2007 .docx and .xlsx files is all but
nonexistent, and the presentation program still chokes on the simplest
PowerPoint files. It's not business-class interoperable with MS Office.

Harumph :-)
Joe