[PLUG] OO.o vs. LO

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Jun 8 00:08:35 UTC 2011

On Tue, 7 Jun 2011, John Jason Jordan wrote:

> It was explained to me that the Go people decided to disable this because
> MS Office doesn't gray out the Save button, and they wanted OOo to look
> more like MS Office. How stupid is that?

   Back when OO.o first came out I tried to make the point that making it
Just Like Microsoft was a losing proposition. Why would anyone change if
there was no benefit? They had to pay for Office anyway so there was no
incentive for them to change. I lost that discussion. Looks like the
developer mindset is still stuck in reverse gear.

> The Autocorrect experience was the last straw. Ever since I have used only
> the version from OOo. Everything works, and if it doesn't, I know exactly
> who to blame.

   I cannot stand autocorrect or on-the-fly spelling checks. They distract me
and break my concentration. I edit when I'm finished writing.

> Oh, and I can print envelopes to my Laserjet 4+ without a problem. The
> Laserjet 5 is not very different. If you think it might be a driver
> problem, I wonder what would happen if you installed the driver for the
> 4+.

   It's the standard printing interface (CUPS). Makes no sense to me why it
no longer works ... only fails with envelopes.

> I do admit that after upgrading recently from 3.2.1 to 3.3.0 there has
> been an issue with printing, i.e., when printing multiple copies collated
> of a print job with an uneven number of pages it starts page 1 of the
> second job on the back of the last page of the first copy.

   I get that with 3.2.1 since my printer has the duplexer attachment. I've
learned that on multipage documents to print them one at a time.

Thanks, John,