[PLUG] OO.o vs. LO

Dale Snell ddsnell at frontier.com
Wed Jun 8 13:15:09 PDT 2011

On Wed, 8 Jun 2011 06:10:53 -0700 (PDT)
Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:

>    I'm patient. Since I process words infrequently I'd just
> like to figure out how to once again print envelopes and be
> able to translate documents and spreadsheets to their open
> format equivalents.

Rich,

I almost never use word processors of any sort -- they give me
hives.  However, a while back I did manage to coerce OO.o Writer
into printing envelopes.  The trick for me was finding the
Envelope function in the menus.  I found it and lost it again a
couple of times.  It's buried near the bottom of the "Insert"
main menu item.  Why, I don't know.  I don't think of inserting an
envelope into a document. And OO.o's help function was most
un-helpful. Oh well.

Anyway, select "Insert -> Envelope...", and you'll be presented
with the Envelope dialog, which is pretty self-explanatory.
You'll likely have to tinker with the Format controls a bit, to
make things look right, but the main thing is to set the size
format to the envelope you're using.  I have an HP LaserJet 1300,
so I feed it one envelope at a time, face up, long ways, with the
opening to my left.  In the Printer tab of the Envelope dialog I
chose the Envelope Orientation button on the far right (the arrow
points to the top of the envelope) and "Print from top".  Click
the "New Doc." button, and you'll be presented with a page showing
your envelope.  Hit "Print" and away you go.

Hope this helps,

--Dale

--
Eye halve a spelling chequer           I ran this poem thru it
It came with my pea sea                I'm sure your pleased to no