[PLUG] cinelerra on SuSE (or any video editing software)

David Fleck david.fleck at mchsi.com
Mon Jun 13 18:54:24 PDT 2011

Anybody here have experience with Cinelerra?  I have the need to edit a
bit of video (a .mov file), and I've downloaded Cinelerra from the
OpenSUSE 11.3 repositories.  Everything seems to install ok, but when I
type 'cinelerra' on the command line, I get:

  Cinelerra 2.1.5CV  Packman build (C) 2010 Heroine Virtual Ltd.
  External ffmpeg
  Compiled on Mon Jun 13 13:43:54 UTC 2011

  Cinelerra is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License,
  and you are welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under
  certain conditions. There is absolutely no warranty for Cinelerra.

...then a blank 196 x 196 pixel window pops up.  The contents of this
window are not refreshed, such that anything dragged over it remains
painted there.  Nothing else happens.

This is not at all what the install HOWTO
( http://www.g-raffa.eu/Cinelerra/HOWTO/installation.html ) would lead me
to expect, so it seems as though something very fundamental is wrong here.

If anybody has any experience with this package that might shed light on
what it is doing, or expects me to do, I'd be very grateful to hear it.
Conversely, suggestions for other video editing software would be
considered also.

Thanks in advance-

--
David Fleck